Our clients are asked to follow these guidelines when writing website content and preparing content documents for submission to Karuna.
The writing guidelines will help you write clearer, more compelling content that makes your website stronger. The processes, meanwhile, will save time, reduce confusion, minimize errors and revisions, make the process easier for you and us, and generally help us deliver a better quality website sooner.
Thanks for taking time to review the guidelines and follow them for all Karuna website design projects!
The Content Document in Word Format
- Prepare your content in a single Word document for each page on your website. At the top of each page, clearly write the name of the page and highlight it to indicate that it’s a page title. For example: “Home”, “About” , “Services,” “Contact Us” etc.
- Word count for SEO optimized pages should be at least 300 words. Well-optimized pages often require far more than that, usually length from 600 to 900 words. However, don’t be too concerned about length. The golden rule is preparing the contents reflection your business with the competitive advantages. And, we will lay out the page so it’s reader-friendly regardless of the length.
- Start with the basics and once you have the hang of it, you should soon identify other pages that need to be on your website. Once you have the pages and their titles created, you can move forward and start writing your content.
- NOTE: In addition to writing your website’s content in each page of the Word document you have just created, it may also be helpful to highlight any comments in another colour, such as aqua or yellow. This helps your comments to stand out to our web developer when they browse your document. You may also want to reference specific files or images within the content and again this is where you can use highlighting to help illustrate these points.
Writing Style that Gain Easy Understanding and Reading Continuility
- Write conversationally—like you talk. Avoid a stilted style, jargon words and complex structure. Your writing should generally be easily digestible for an eighth-grade reading level.
- Speak directly to your reader. Use the word “you” frequently.
- Conjunctions are fine (we’ll, isn’t, don’t, etc.)
- Focus on benefits, but include features, too. Features are what your product/service DOES. Benefits are what it does FOR customers (saves time, saves money, makes life easier, etc.)
- Keep sentence length short (typically 30 words or less).
- Paragraph length should also be short. Keep them to a few sentences and no more than 4-5 lines of text on a published web page.
- BOLD the keywords in the paragraph in gain your reader attention.
Finally, once you have created the Word document containing all the pages needed and images in folder arragement, you can share it our salesperson via email or using a file transfer service, such as wetransfer.com.
- Word or rich text files strongly preferred–please avoid PDFs.
- Don’t not transfer the images via WhatsApp.
- To ensure your contents prepared according to the purposes of the website.
11 Key Features of an Ecommerce Website in 2022
Formatting Tips for Digital Contents
- Generally you should avoid most formatting (e.g. tabs/indents, lines typed in capital letters). Boldface, bullets, italics and numbering are OK to use. Do not use the space bar to format text into columns or indents. All of this will need to be manually removed.
- Avoid underlining. In website content, this indicates links. Instead, use bold or capital letters for emphasis.
- If you are working with text copied from a website, PDF document, etc., please use the “paste special” command and choose “unformatted text” before pasting into Word.
- Single space after periods. The old rule about double-spacing after periods dates back to the days of manual typewriters and does not apply to digital word processing. It causes unintended spaces in website content and must be manually removed.
- Do not include text boxes or lined sections in the document.
Giving Instructions to our Designer and Developer
If you want to include notes about content to pass on to our designer and developer:
- Indicate instructions to the page designer in red font.
- Indicate hyperlinks in blue underlined font. If the link target is not obvious, put the target URL in parentheses after the requested link.
- Feel free to insert image recommendations or references in red text at approximate points where they might be inserted during layout.
Kindly include the above in the single word document rather than in the separate document or in the email body.
10 Tips to Help You Create SEO Friendly Content
- Write high-quality, high-value content. Don’t just write to reach a word count. If you want your content to rank, use these content writing tips to create high-quality evergreen content that is well-written and extremely useful and valuable. Search engines want to provide the best results, so build the top resource for your topic if you want to rank.
- Don’t steal content from another website. Please do not directly copy content from other websites and publish it on your site. This is a poor, unethical practice, and it can lead to search penalties. For strong on-site SEO, publish fresh, original content.
- Decide your target keywords.
- Only one primary keyword per page, same keyword cannot apply to different pages.
- Use the primary keyword in the first paragraph. Help search crawlers understand the page right from the start by using the primary keyword in the first paragraph of copy on your page.
- Use the primary keyword in at least one subheading. Continue to support the page’s topic by using the primary keyword in at least one subheading in the content. This tactic should be one of the easiest best practices for SEO, as the content should primarily share information related to the keyword, making this a natural task.
- Use the primary keyword throughout the text. As you write your content, naturally use the primary keyword throughout the content. Avoid keyword stuffing by keeping your keyword density to about 2%. This is one of the most essential best practices for SEO.
NOTE: There are more that 100 of SEO Best practises, the aforesaid only list the most essential for your contents preparation.
If you need further clarification on the SEO contents, please contact our sales to arrange a zoom section with our SEO specialist for explanation.
Right Images for Your Website
- Logo. Please provide Logo in PNG or AI format.
- Quality counts. Try to provide images in high-definition. Don’t transfer the images to us via whatsApp or any platform which will lead to image distortion. Please try WeTransfer. A free ad-supported WeTransfer account allows file sizes up to 2GB.
- Strive for originality. Consumers are “image-savvy,” meaning they know a stock photo when they see one. This doesn’t mean stock photos can’t be used on your website, but there are certain images should be original that reflect your company, such as images of your office building, project portfolio etc.
Offer candid images of your team. To gain the trust from the website visitor who don’t know your company before, this is advisable to feature professional photographs of employees, working environment. and friendly-looking headshots of your top executives on your “About Us” page.
Alternatives. If you don’t have any original images that you can use, there are other ways to find unique images and still avoid stock photos. If you don’t have any original images that you can use, there are other ways to find unique images and still avoid stock photos.
Flickr.com is a nice image source for instance, as you can use Creative Commons images. Just remember to attribute the original photographer.
We also like the images provided by sites like Unsplash.
Another option is Pixabay, that has both paid and free images. A lot of the images on there do not require crediting the photographer. If you don’t have to credit and you can alter the image, you will find that the image is released under Creative Commons CC0.
A forth website is Foter, which claims there are over 335 million free stock photos on its site. You can explore by category or simply conduct a search. Each and every photo will display the license under which it’s listed. Some photos require credit to the photographer, some photos may not be altered and some may not be modified.
- Too much is better than not enough. Collectively all the images on your website should tell a story. Therefore, it would be better to provide as many as images for our designer selection.
- IMPORTANT: All the image files must be labelled with the accurate title in full, rather than short form or number or symbol that Google will not understand. This is very important for SEO purposes. Eg. an image for your Photography services for Corporate client should be label as “Corporate Photography” rather than Photo 1 or Image 3445.
After preparing the images, kindly group the photos into individual folder according to the title or usage purposes in to order avoid unnecessary communication breakdown that causing project completion.
What is meant by "Keyword Stuffing"?
“Keyword stuffing” refers to the practice of loading a webpage with keywords or numbers in an attempt to manipulate a site’s ranking in Google search results. Often these keywords appear in a list or group, or out of context (not as natural prose).
What is keyword stuffing example?
What is meant by "Keyword Density"?
Keyword density refers to the number of times a keyword appears on a given webpageor within a piece of content as a ratio or percentage of the overall word count. This is also sometimes referred to as keyword frequency, or the frequency with which a specific keyword appears on a webpage.
What is a good keyword density?
Don’t want to write your own web content?
Some business owners are happy to write their own content and others shake their head in horror! It’s actually a much better idea to leave the copy to a professional copywriter who can craft your content so that it reads well and is designed to convert visitors on your website.
After all, when you spend your hard earned money on a quality corporate website design for your business, you don’t want the copy to be the weak link. If you bite the bullet and engage a copywriter, you will still need to provide them with information for each page on your website and a list of bullet points is fine.
The investment in a copywriter will ensure that not only is your content written to a very high standard, but that it’s written for your specific target market. It will also be completed very quickly in most cases, meaning that your corporate website design will also be completed on time.
You might be happy to learn that at Karuna, we also offer professional copywriting services to our clients to ensure that we can complete their websites in a quick time frame. This means that you don’t have to worry about writing your own copy, you can simply leave it to the professionals.
If you want to explore using a professional copywriter for your corporate website design at Karun, simply give us a call and we can set it up for you.